Pantone’s colour of the year for 2019 is Living Coral, a pinky-peachy hue with a golden undertone that’s cheerful and warm. Here are some ways to add it to your wardrobe in the new year.
- Coral plays nicely with navy, grey and olive green. Add a scarf, a necklace or a pair of tassel earrings (also right on trend) to your existing items in these neutral colours and you’ll instantly have a fresh look that’s cool and contemporary.
- Coral is ideal for floral patterns. Florals are big this year but choosing one which features the colour of the year will up your fashion game a notch. Top-to-toe floral in a dress works perfectly for summer, and as things cool down for autumn, add a floral blouse to a suit.
- Play with the shades of the colour. Coral can be bright or more muted so it can suit any colouring, mood or occasion. The more pastel tones are perfect for a casual look while a bright hue will make a bold statement.
- A coral coloured lipstick is a subtle way to add the key colour without having to go big or add items to your wardrobe. Ditto with a manicure in a coral shade.
- Take the idea literally and look for fabrics and accessories that feature coral as a motif in the correct colour, of course. A coral pattern has the feel of a floral but is slightly more sophisticated.
- For a look that’s very fashion-forward, try pairing your coral with a deep shade of scarlet. Think coral top and red skirt. For real fashion kudos, colour block the two colours and pair with accessories in the same shades.
- For a nautical-inspired look that’s great for sweltering summer days, pair coral pieces with crisp white.
- A variation on coral is rose gold, which has been trendy for some time. Add jewellery pieces, shoes and handbags in this hot metal to really up the ante.